Wrinkles mainly happen on the parts of our body that gets too much exposure to the sun. This includes the face, neck, the backs of the hands, and the tops of the forearms.
At some point in our lives, we are all going to experience having wrinkles. It’s a natural part of aging. In fact, it’s one of the defining attributes of aging!
What causes wrinkles?
- Smoking - Whenever your smoke, you expose the surface of your skin to all kinds of chemicals and carcinogens. Smoking also deepens the crease lines on your cheeks, upper lip, and the base of your neck. These lines end up as permanent wrinkles.
- Skin Type - People with lighter complexion are more susceptible to skin damage.
- Heredity - Some families wrinkle more than others. If you do, be extra mindful of the use of skin care products that you put on your skin.
- Sun Exposure - The main culprit to getting wrinkles is letting your skin be exposed to too much sun. UV exposure unleashes free radicals in our skin that break down collagen and elastin, the building blocks that give our skin firmness and structure.
How to get rid of wrinkles?
- Quit smoking! Quit. Now. Your skin will thank you later!
- Add more antioxidants to your diet. Antioxidants protect your skin from free radicals.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water - at least 2 liters of water daily.
- Use products with natural ingredients to your face. Don’t add damage by putting chemicals into your skin.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure. Wear sunscreen even if there is no sun, use them. Wear a hat, sunglasses, and a long-sleeved shirt.
- Rest. Beauty sleep allows your body time to repair itself.
- Reduce stress. You can also do yoga and meditation.